The year 1889 was quite eventful with the official opening of the Eiffel Tower, the George Washington Bridge, and the first U.S. golf course. The Wall Street Journal began publishing, the dishwashing machine was marketed, and the first computer patented. Montana, Washington, North and South Dakota became states. But to the members of the Alpharetta Seventh-day Adventist Church, 1889 is known only as the year the first Adventist church in Alpharetta was organized.
In 2004, a group of just seven people stepped out in faith to establish an Adventist church in the Alpharetta area. They did not learn of the early church until later that year, but knew at once their presence was divine providence. Meeting in each other’s homes for awhile, they realized they could not grow without an official meeting place, so they rented a facility, and the first organized service took place June 11, 2005 with approximately 180 people in attendance. That day’s offerings exceeded rent for the entire month.
We don’t know why the first church and school disbanded—perhaps the Great Depression played a part. But we know Alpharetta and its surrounding towns still need our message of hope and love in this crucial time in history. As one of our favorite hymns proclaims:
“…We believe the time is here, when the nations far and near shall awake, and shout and sing Hallelujah! Christ is King! We have this hope that burns within our hearts, Hope in the coming of the Lord.”